UH Hospitals reviewback
Providing Expert Health Care to Cleveland and Northeast Ohio for 150 Years Continuing a Legacy of Caring and Medical Innovation in Cleveland, OH Founded in 1866, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center has a long history of providing exceptional healthcare for the residents of Northeast Ohio. Among the nation’s leading academic medical centers, we are leading the way in both the discovery and implementation of medical advancements and the delivery of exceptional patient care. With more than 1,000 registered beds, UH Cleveland Medical Center provides primary, specialty and subspecialty medical and surgical care. Located in the heart of Cleveland’s University Circle on a beautiful 35-acre campus, UH Cleveland Medical Center includes general medical, intensive care and surgical units as well as two major hospitals: University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital As a comprehensive, integrated, academic health system, our physicians and researchers span the full spectrum –from basic/translational to clinical/population research. The total research portfolio in 2017 was $164 million in sponsored funding. This includes UH federal funding, in conjunction with Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (about $79 million), non-federal grants ($29 million) and clinical trials ($56 million). The UH Clinical Research Center is home to the largest clinical trial site in northeast Ohio with more than 1,000 active trials. Learn More About UH Cleveland Medical Center Education Leadership Awards & Recognition Volunteer Services Give to UH Cleveland Contact Us Community Health Needs Assessment & Implementation Strategy As part of our commitment to the Northeast Ohio community, UH identifies the most pressing health needs of each community we serve through a periodic community health needs assessment (CHNA) and our 2020 Implementation Strategy for each UH hospital facility. Learn more about the most recent UH Cleveland Medical Center CHNA. A Legacy Linked to the History of Cleveland The history of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center is linked to the history of Cleveland. Founded in 1866, we were nurtured and supported by Cleveland’s great industrial families of the late 19th and early 20th centuries –the same families that played key roles in the development of the city’s noted civic and cultural institutions, including the Cleveland Museum of Art, The Cleveland Orchestra, and The Cleveland Foundation. Among the forward-looking thinkers in our early history was industrialist Samuel Mather, who served as a trustee for an astounding 47 years, including 32 years as chairman. In 1891, Mather visited the fledgling Johns Hopkins hospital and medical school. He returned to Cleveland convinced of the value of an academic medical mission joined with patient care. He understood the synergy created in an academic medical center that brings together the power of healing, teaching and discovery, and he recognized that the future of great medicine lay in the academic medical center model. This focus on medical education at University Hospitals in 1895 led to our formal ties with what is now the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. As an affiliate of the medical school, we grew to become one of the nation’s great centers of academic medicine and the region’s leading provider of high quality health care. To the people of Greater Cleveland, we came to exemplify hope, mercy and humanity. Learn more about University Hospital’s rich legacy of exceptional care and medical discovery.